Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Simple Comfort Food


I have to admit.

I am one of those health care providers who notoriously does not take great care of herself. It's not that I don't want to eat when I'm working. It's just that I don't always have time. I like to be at a stopping point or at least a moment of solace.

As other midwives and nurses know there are days where your feet hit the ground running and they don't stop until your shift or call is over. A favorite medical assistant of mine used to say to me, on days where my schedule was booked and double booked, hope you have your roller skates on! These are the days where I don't eat or drink anything and am so busy I even forget to pee!

So needless to say, at the end of a shift like that I need to carb load. Not the best thing to do at 8 pm or midnight, I know, but after running a marathon on labor and delivery up and down the halls this midwife likes to unwind with a large bowl of whole wheat penne.


I dress it simply but deliciously with my concoction of olive oil, crushed red pepper, sea salt, and shaved Parmesan - all to taste. Then I curl up with the penne and my laptop and watch an episode of Sex and the City.

Comfort food for the belly and soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment